More and more office spaces are changes to accommodate the changing work styles of a more mobile workforce. One of the emerging trends is the standing workstation where the work surface is at an appropriate height for use by an adult standing erect.
Like all significant changes in office space environments, you should research this option well before deciding to change your office furnishings. There are some great points about these workstations and others that aren’t so wonderful.
· It has long been recognized that sitting too much contributes to the ever increasing weight problems in America. It is also very back for the muscles and skeleton to sit for more than one hour at a time.
· Standing increases blood flow and creates more energy, keeping the mind more alert. It’s difficult to get sleepy at a standing desk.
· People working at standing desks tend to be more engaged with associates. It is easier to stop by and interface instead of waiting for a later meeting or a better time to stand up.
· If good posture is practiced, the body actually gains core strength. It can also lessen back pain.
· It is easier to rush away from a standing desk to a last minute meeting than with the traditional seated desk. Those sitting tend to collect and gather before leaving while standing workers simply grab a pad and go.
· Eat at the desk types don’t have a space to relax during lunch. If putting in standing workstations, provide a relaxing break room to overcome this issue.
· Some people experience sore feet and legs, especially during the transitional period. Most people adjust, but some simply do not adjust well and prefer to sit.
· Some people have medical problems or handicaps making it impossible to stand for long periods of time.
· Long hours can get hard to do when standing most of the time.
· You are totally visible to other workers, without the privacy of a traditional cubical office space.
· Unless anti-fatigue mats are used to cushion feet, standing too much can take a bit toll on the body, causing foot and leg problems.
Ways the Standing Desk Will Benefit Your Business
The mobile workforce seems to prefer standing workstations because they have likely been sitting in client meetings, working in third places while sitting and when they stop into the office to take care of tasks, it is refreshing to stand for a bit. These workers are not tied to the same desk all day long.
By: James Osgood