Deciding to rent coworking office space is a big decision. It is one that should not be made lightly. Whether you are moving from a traditional space or just starting out, it is important to determine the pros and cons of working in this new office configuration. Here are a few of those pros and cons to help you get started.
Coworking Office Space Pros
1) Great opportunity for networking. Take advantage of the events that coworking spaces provide like happy hours, learning seminars and impromptu gatherings. It’s a chance to meet those around you and possible future clients.
2) Take note of what is included. Coworking spaces provide a variety of services that could save you money over time like cleaning, Monday morning breakfasts, snacks and coffee. Many spaces come fully or partially furnished, a big expense for anyone starting out.
3) Variety of spaces inspires creativity. Sitting in the same space, staring at your screen can become monotonous. Take advantage of the variety of venues to work together with your team, find private space or hold meetings.
Coworking Office Space Cons
1) Beware of distractions. With all the great amenities being offered to you and your staff, you’ll need to set ground rules. It’s very easy to want to do all your work in the common areas but you’ll need to evaluate if that is the model you want for your business.
2) Isolation. If you choose not be part of the networking events, you could feel isolated even with people around you. Make a conscious effort to be a part of some of the organized activities.
3) Poaching. With so many companies co-located together, chances are that there are other companies who do similar work to your company in your space. To help avoid the possibility that one of your employees will leave to join another company, include a no compete clause in your hiring process.
Moving to a coworking space is both exciting and scary. There is always a bit of a fear of the unknown. Contact us to help you navigate the next stage of your company’s business.