In the past, the only notion of a home life that the employee would bring to work was a houseplant and a photo of the spouse. Back in those days, office space leasing tips were dominated with cost per square foot calculations and private office allocation. Yet today’s Millennials want nothing to do with this kind of work environment.
This segment of the population has different values than those of the generations that came before it. Attracting and retaining quality workers from this generation calls for at least five leasing tips that foster work-life integration.
- Flexible workstations. The advance of wireless technology now makes it possible to work from home, the coffee shop or the park. Do not keep workers tethered to desks with PCs but enable them to enjoy flexible workdays and workstations.
- Enhanced interactivity. The conference room with its formal setting is no longer the space you should look for. Instead, opt for a large, open space within the office that you can transform into impromptu meeting areas for teams or team members.
- Access to public transportation. While you still want to have access to a parking garage or lot, consider that Millennials favor public transportation. In fact, the decision of whether or not to accept an employment offer from your company may hinge on the availability of nearby transit routes.
- Walkability. How pedestrian-friendly is the area right around your office building? Business parks are out; finding office space in the heart of downtown, near amenities and within easy walking distance of entertainment venues is now in. Consider that your employees frequently do not return home after work but might meet up with friends.
- Modern amenities. Your building should feature modern amenities. On-site restaurants, coffee shops or even a gym would be ideal. Other attractive amenities include spas, business services kiosks and the unusual. For example, the management team of the BECO Towers complex follows a tenant-centered approach and provides outdoor nature lounges and bike rentals.
If this collection of office space leasing tips has inspired you to look around for new digs, contact us for assistance to find the hottest properties at the best possible prices.