Renting an office space is not rocket science and does not have to be an overwhelming proposal; simply work your way through these basic steps, allow enough time, get help when you need it and you’ve got your ideal office rental!
- Calculate how much space you need. Use our office space calculator or plan on around 175 – 200 sq. feet for each employee. It includes a typical allocation for meeting rooms, kitchen space, etc.
- Identify your budget, including an ideal range and an absolute upper limit. Remember that there are other occupancy expenses, other than rent, that go into an office rental. In fact, they are usually equal to the rental amount for the office space. These include telephones, internet, insurance, utilities (depending on the type of lease you sign), tenant improvements, property and excise taxes and the like.
- Make a list of location preferences and prioritize them. Think about the best location for your employees, clients, deliveries, etc.
- Search for available office space that match your space, budget, and location needs. Be as thorough as possible in this step. (This is a great time to call in the experts at OfficeFinder!)
- Determine the length of your office rental: short-term or long-term, number of months, etc.
- Issue requests for proposals to be able to compare floor plans, prices, and other details of your top three spaces, weighing the pros and cons of each one.
- Choose the space that offers you the best fit for your company and begin negotiations! this is where have a qualified office tenant representative on your side really makes a difference. They do a lot more than just find space. They make sure you get the best deal possible and they don’t cost you anything to engage their services.
- Have an attorney and experience real estate broker review your rental agreement before you sign it. You want to avoid any costly mistakes, don’t you?
- Get any tenant improvements constructed and you are ready to move in. Congratulations.
It is important, at the beginning of the process, to write down a list of needs and preferences for your rental space. Checkout our office space planning checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything. Determine the items you cannot negotiate, and also the items you will be willing to compromise on. Identify your dream space and also what will simply meet your needs and allow your business to function at a high level.
Contact us today to ask your questions and find the ideal office rental space for your business!
The office rental process in more detail.